Podcast Episode 57 – Purdue Friendships
This is Purdue, the official podcast for Purdue University, highlights stories about Boilermakers from across all disciplines, who through research, innovation and determination, have persistently pursued their next giant leap.
Hosted by Purdue University alum, Brian Lamb School of Communication graduate, and Indiana native Kate Young, This is Purdue aims to examine all of the incredible accomplishments of Boilermakers and their contributions to the world.
Below, you’ll find helpful information, stories, and social media content regarding this episode of This is Purdue.
In this episode of “This Is Purdue,” we’re talking to former Purdue football players Mike Phipps and Don Kiepert, who played on the iconic late 1960s team under Coach Jack Mollenkopf.
This quarterback duo friendship started at Purdue, and the two have been best friends for more than 50 years. After graduating, Mike went on to play quarterback in the NFL for 12 years for the Cleveland Browns and Chicago Bears, while Don had a successful career running multiple pharmaceutical companies.
You’ll hear Mike and Don share stories about loyalty, persistence and the legacy behind Boilermaker football legend Leroy Keyes.
Come for the behind-the-scenes history of the 1967 Big Ten championship team, stay for stories only decades of Boilermaker friendship can provide.
· Links to the podcast
· Social graphics
· Suggested social post copy
LINKS and UTM PARAMETERS
When linking to Purdue websites from social platforms or emails, it is recommended that UTM parameters be added to the URL in order to provide reporting on the activity. The Marketing and Communications campaign URL builder allows you to easily configure these links and even request shortened Purdue-branded links.
UTM Campaign: this_is_purdue_football_friendships
UTM Medium: Social (or email)
UTM Source: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram (or email newsletter name)
Link to the podcast: https://stories.purdue.edu/podcast/football-friendships
General Podcast Page – https://stories.purdue.edu/podcast/
The following assets are available for download and use. Social assets include files for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Instagram Stories.
SOCIAL MEDIA GUIDANCE POSTING TIPS
Digital engagement is a powerful platform to share Purdue stories and posts with past, present and future Boilermakers. Here are some tips to help your posts shine.
· Keep posts short and direct
· Link all posts back to our landing page
· Include photos, videos, or GIF’s
· Use short URLS
SUGGESTED SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
LinkedIn + Facebook
- 50+ years of friendship. The history and comradery behind the iconic late 1960s @BoilerFootball teams under Coach Jack Mollenkopf. All this and more in our new #ThisIsPurdue podcast episode featuring former #Purdue quarterbacks Mike Phipps and Don Kiepert! Check it out today: <link>
- “Leroy and his legacy will be with #Purdue for a long time. He’s Mr. Purdue Football.” Former @boilerfootball and @NFL Quarterback Mike Phipps and his best friend Don Kiepert, also a former quarterback, share stories about #Boilermaker football legends Leory Keyes and Coach Jack Mollenkopf in our latest #ThisIsPurdue episode. Come for the behind-the-scenes history of the 1967 @BigTen championship team, stay for the 50+ years of Boilermaker friendship. <link>
- “It was my first college game. I think back on it, and there I am, shaking hands with the first man that landed on the moon. That was a real special moment for me.” Mike Phipps, former @BoilerFootball and @NFL quarterback, reflects on meeting #Purdue astronaut Neil Armstrong and what the #Boilermaker community means to him – only on #ThisIsPurdue, the official university podcast. <link>
- “When you go through playing ball with someone, no matter if it’s 55 years ago, there’s a bond that you make that’s like nothing else. You know them, they know you, they know what you stand for.” Don Kiepert, former @BoilerFootball quarterback and @purduepharmacy alum, discusses why the #Boilermaker spirit is so contagious and what his #Purdue relationships continue to mean to him 50+ years later. <link>
Twitter + Instagram
- 50+ years of friendship. The history behind the iconic late 1960s @BoilerFootball teams. All this and more in our latest #ThisIsPurdue episode ft. former #Purdue quarterbacks & @PUPresCouncil members Mike Phipps & Don Kiepert. Listen today: <link>
- “Leroy and his legacy will be with #Purdue for a long time. He’s Mr. Purdue Football.” Come for the behind-the-scenes history of the 1967 @BigTen championship team with Leroy Keyes, stay for the 50+ years of #Boilermaker friendship. <link>
- “It was my first college game … there I am, shaking hands with the first man that landed on the moon.” Mike Phipps, former @BoilerFootball/@NFL quarterback, reflects on meeting Neil Armstrong & what the #Boilermaker community means to him – only on #ThisIsPurdue. <link>
- “When you go through playing ball with someone … there’s a bond that you make that’s like nothing else.” Don Kiepert, former @BoilerFootball QB & @purduepharmacy alum, discusses what his #Purdue relationships mean to him 50+ years later. #ThisIsPurdue <link>
Please tag Purdue University and use the hashtag #ThisIsPurdue
Other tagging options include:
CAMPAIGN SPECIFIC HASHTAGS
#MySmallStep = Student stories
#MyGiantLeap = Faculty/Alumni stories